Monday, April 23, 2012

Pinterest as a Tool for Handling Asperger's

I didn't know it when I started my Pinterest account but I had not only found a way to keep track of crafts I will never make, I had also found a way to calm my 9 year old son who has Asperger's.

My son has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh.  I created a board I named ROFLs and began pinning funny pictures and things that made me smile.  I knew some of them would make him laugh so I started sharing them with him.  Everyday he would ask if I had any new rofls for him.  He made a self-imposed rule that he wouldn't look until I had at least 6 new rofls for him to see.

I've discovered that not only does it give us a chance to laugh together it also often works as a tool to help calm him.  It has helped to avert melt-downs and helped him when he's feeling out of control or angry.  I love it and so does he.

If you look at the album you'll see that he especially likes lolcats, legos, and Star Wars.  You'll also see a few jokes that I pinned for myself to which he says "I don't get it."

http://pinterest.com/karlatrx/rofls/

Here are some of our very favorites:







No comments:

Post a Comment