Monday, November 1, 2010

Blogging for Autism - Asperger's and my family

My son who is 8 years old has a form of Autism called Asperger's Syndrome.  There is a saying that if you've met one child with Autism, well, you've only met one child with Autism. Meaning that there is a huge amount of variation in symptoms and severity and each child with this disorder is different.

Generally speaking, Asperger's effects motor skills, speech skills, social skills, ability to deal with disruptions in routine or with frustrations, preoccupation with a favorite subject, sensitivity to noise, lights, etc.
For more see: http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-symptoms

In my son's case some of his symptoms are quite mild.  For example his speech; until he was diagnosed at the age of 7 I didn't realize that his odd way of speaking had anything to do with the other issues we dealt with all of his life.  Other symptoms are more severe such as his noise sensitivity, impulse control, and ability to deal with frustrations.  Major meltdowns where he hurts himself, others and destroys property are not uncommon.  On the other hand he can be a delightful funny and friendly guy to be around. 

One of the many things that I've learned from my experience is the truthfulness of the Bible verse at Matthew 6:34 - "So, never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Sufficient for each day is its own badness."  I've found that it is easier to survive each day if I take it on it's own.  Constant worrying about the future makes life almost unbearable.

I'm  very sorry that this post is so late.  I'm also a bit sad that I don't think it's well written and it doesn't say what I want it to.  It was both harder and more painful to write then I anticipated. 

Thank you for reading.

Karla

3 comments:

  1. I have several friends with children diagnosed with Asperger's. Each child IS different, and the changes it brings to each family's dynamics vary greatly each day. Prayers to you and all families that the medical world will come to understand this diagnosis better and be able to offer more guidance to treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little surprise for you over at my Giveaway blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend just sent me to your blog. Thanks for being an advocate! I also live by the same motto "You've met one kid on the Autism Spectrum. Great for you!! You now know one kid on the Autism Spectrum!" Too bad more teachers don't understand that. These kids are not cookie cutters and who would want them to be? My son has great abilities and great gifts. I want to say to people,"Just because he doesn't think like your child doesn't mean anything is wrong with him." I'm reading a good book called The Gift of ADHD (he also has that) and it makes a great point. Why is my kid hyper? Why isn't it that other kids are under-active? Why does my kid lack attention? Why don't other kids have over-attention? Certainly a different way to look at things!

    ReplyDelete