Thursday, December 15, 2011

I Made Caramel and Banana Quesadillas

I'm a caramel maker!  : D  I've always been afraid to make caramel because I know it can be a bit tricky.  A few nights ago I decided to go ahead and give it a try.  My first attempt crytallized into a hard lacy lump at the bottom of the pan.  The second time, I searched the internet for ways to avoid having that happen.  The 3 tricks I found were to:

  • Add lemon juice (I added about a teaspoon)
  • Add corn syrup (I found an old bottle in my cupboard and added about 2 tablespoons)
  • Stir until it boils and then don't stir again until it's dark enough to add the cream


The second time it worked like a charm and I created a fabulous caramel sauce to serve over my banana quesadillas.  They were decadent and delicious!  Kind of like crepes without the bother of making crepes. Other then the time it took to make 2 (1 successful) batches of caramel it was an easy recipe to make.  You can find it here at Food Network. I used the caramel recipe in the link and it worked after I made the above mentioned adjustments.

Are there any foods that you're afraid to make?  I've still never cooked a artichoke even though I want to.  That'll be my next project.

Pic from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment