Monday, September 13, 2010

(Easy) Homemade Hand and Body Scrub

I love getting hand and body scrubs but I hate spending $12 or more for them.  I like them for my hands and my 9 year old has very dry skin and rough elbows and knees so scrubs are great for her. I've been on the lookout for a recipe for quite a while but the ones I found all required specialty ingredients that required a trip to a special store or mail order. 

That's why I was so excited when I found Pam's recipe on her blog.  It called for things I had around the house!  I made up a jar the same night and it works great and smells delicious.  My husband said it smelled like cookie dough. : )

The next day I made another batch for a friend's wedding shower.  I used 1 tsp orange extract at first and it had a strong sharp orange/alcohol smell so I added 1/2 tsp vanilla to it.  That did the trick and it mellowed out to a very pretty orange vanilla scent.  I'm excited to have an easy inexpensive way to make a pampering treat for myself and my friends.

The talented and helpful Pam over at The Thrifty Things blog posted this recipe for

Homemade Vanilla Hand Scrub

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup kosher salt

Mix all ingredients together and store in a glass container. If you don't like vanilla use another extract or essential oil that you prefer. The choices are endless, lavender, lemon, orange, peppermint, your choice!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!! I'm so gonna have to give it a try!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm now a new follower of yours!

    Sofia
    From PDX with Love

    ReplyDelete