Friday, September 24, 2010

How to Hurt my Sisters Feelings... Kindly?!?

So my sweet dear loving (sincerely... no sarcasm) sister sent me a lovely 20th anniversary gift.  It's a big beautiful personalized ceramic serving platter with a nice display stand. I love it! 

There's just one problem... it has the wrong date on it.  Permanently kiln-baked on. Now if it were up to me I would be glad to tell her thank you and never correct her because the last thing I want to do is make her sad.  But I KNOW there is no way that I can keep this a secret from her for the rest of our lives.  I figure the longer I let it set the worse it will be.  I just don't know how to tell her.  Sigh.
I'm also pretty positive that it was her mistake because she sent me an ecard on the same day that she had printed on the plate, so it's not like she can get her money back.


It's been a crud day!  I also received a letter from the college I'm attending telling me that I've been permanently removed from my classes because I didn't provide proof of immunization.  However, I DID send it in!  No answer on the phone line provided either.  I'm sure it will get worked out but it's just another thing that I have to deal with. I'm declaring a homework strike!

Any suggestions on how to break this to my sister?  Oh and to add another layer of difficulty we're on opposite sides of the continent.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and I will try to as well.  Thanks for listening. : )

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the school Paperwork--All I remember from school was standing in lines and being told I had none of the proper Paperwork. Endlessly!

    As for the sister---I would say nothing at all, and if it does ever come up, you can giggle and tell her it makes your anniversary an all week (or month) celebration. I have found that so much of this sort of thing is in how you handle it--if you treat it as this beautiful, funny moment, and obviously love the piece so much, it turns into one of those Quirky Family things--Like you always have a Turkey on your second anniversary so you can use the Platter. You know? If you tell her, it's like it IS a big deal, when really, you love it for all the right reasons. Wow---I got into that. I'm on a roll o Advice giving this morning---forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your sister reads your blog, the secret might be out...?
    If she doesn't read your blog, now might be a good time to get her to start...you know, so she doesn't plan another personalized gift for next year...I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kind of funny in a not so funny way! I think if it were me, I would tell her so she doesn't send anything with the wrong date again but I would totally keep it for the memory and laugh :)

    Sorry about the aggravation with your college paperwork...annoying!

    ReplyDelete